Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Little BBQ On the Prairie

Today took an interesting turn as I was driving to do some errands.  I was passing a field just south of our neighborhood, and I saw thick smoke coming from the grass.  At first I thought it was just a bonfire or someone burning their trash, but there was no one around.

I pulled over and called 911, worried that this might get to be a big problem since we haven't had rain for weeks and the fire was VERY close to some houses.  I saw another car pull up and the driver get on her phone as well.  Thankfully, the fire department was really quick to respond, and the fire was put out in about a half hour.  They gave the field a good soaking as well, just to make sure they didn't miss any ashes or coals.

When I talked to one of the firemen, he said they suspected it was from someone playing with fireworks- there were burn marks on the concrete across the street, and the firemen found what was left of a rocket of some sort.

Gotta love the Fourth of July!

No comments: