Saturday, March 26, 2011

Holy Holi!

Today was the Festival of Colors!!!!


This is my absolute FAVORITE way to welcome Spring.  I mean, who doesn't love getting insanely messy while dancing around and throwing brightly colored rose-scented cornstarch on each other while listening to Indie rock and stories of a Rolex monkey and burning a witch (Yes, all I could think of was Monty Python when they were talking about this)?!  No, really.  It's madness, and I love it.


Check out this vid.  It depicts how amazingly fun the Holi Festival is.  And, a guy from my freshman ward wrote the music!  Crazy connections, huh? 


Thanks for the vid, Lindz!


Okay, so the pics are pretty much the best way to get an idea of what goes on at Holi.  It is a constant cloud of cornstarch and color.  Check out how messy we are!!!
 This was during part of the color cloud.  I put away my camera pretty quickly so it didn't get coated.
Thank heavens for the masks!
 Yeah, people would just throw color on you at any time.  Nice timing, dude with the hat!
I like the clean scratch mark in the middle of my forehead.  Nice.
 The group minus Moka and Anne, who we couldn't find!  We were so darn messy!
 Jessica and Andrew.  This was the only good one I could get of them.  Dang you, Andrew!
 Mindy was so excited that her vacation was at the exact time of Holi.  And check out our white teeth!!
Hannah and Heidi, this one's for you!


This year I was super excited because we had some first-timers with the group!  Lindz and I had always wanted to go to the Festival when we previously lived together, but because neither of us had a car at the time, we weren't able to go.  But, I knew this was the year we would get to do it.  We gathered a whole bunch of friends (Brian came from California, and Mindy came from Nebraska!) and went with some people in my current ward.  Over the course of the few hours we were there, we got separated from the other part of our group, but that didn't stop us from having fun.  Yes, it was even fun when I inhaled a handful of pink powder that had been thrown at my face.  It took a minute to gag and cough all of it out, but that's all part of the fun, right?!  :)

So after we met up with the group and got a few pics, we all decided we were famished and needed to grab some grub, pronto.  Sonic was the agreed upon spot, so we all headed off in our colored glory.  I have to say, even with sheets and blankets covering the seats, I still have a pink car.  Yeah, not so happy about that.


I love this pic of Danny.  It's just hilarious to see a guy with a red face wrapped in a girly blanket and ordering from a Sonic drive thru.  Love it.



Once we got to Sonic, it seemed like the temp just dropped.  We all huddled together and ordered massive amounts of food.  We really were famished.  Some people even managed a round 2.  I think Jessica said it best when she told us, "It's kind of like how you're so hungry and exhausted after church.  We were at a religious festival, so I think it is just like that."  I love that girl.  Here is a shot of our table before some people got more food:
And there was another table next to us completely filled with bags as well.  Oh, it was amazing.  All in all, it was a great year for the Holi Festival of Colors, and I'm pretty sure we will be going again next year.  Anyone want to join us?!  Pencil it in for the end of March, 2012.  You will NOT regret going!

2 comments:

Brett said...

Hey lady! I was excited to see your link to your blog. You rock! This looks like SO much fun!

Stephanie said...

Oh, woops! I just realized I was signed up as Brett. It's really me:)