Thursday, June 24, 2010

"It's Never Too Late!"

 Today was my first day of classes.  I was nervous, I was anxious, and when I saw my jerk ex-boyfriend Shawn in the hallway right before my class started, I got a little angry and resentful.  But moving on.

I walked into class and immediately noticed that I was one of the oldest people there.  There was one woman who looked like she was in her 40's, but for the most part, it was the young crowd.  I couldn't believe it.  I had been told that there would probably be a lot of older people- especially during summer term.  I grabbed a desk and slouched down, feeling completely miserable for myself.

As the professor came in and started class, I was just going over in my head how embarrassing it was to be sitting in that class.  I was so out of place and just had the worst attitude.

Then the door opened.

In walked this man, probably in his late 70's.  He had a cane and a rolling backpack, and settled himself in a seat next to the door.

And I cried.

I cried for his courage.  I cried for my selfishness.  I cried for his strength.  I cried for my lack of strength.  I cried for his perseverance.  I cried for my wallowing in self-pity.  I cried for his determination.  I cried for my weakness.  I don't think anyone else noticed my crying, but I sure as heck remembered a VERY valuable lesson.  It's never too late.

A few months ago, when I was contemplating quitting my job and going back to school, I came across an article about a courageous Kenyan student who went back to primary school at the age of 84.  I couldn't believe his courage and determination in doing that.  I printed off the article, and it now sits right on my desk in plain sight.  I doctored it up a little, and added the saying "It's never too late" to the side, just to remind myself to keep going.  I look at it daily.

We all experience hard things.  We make decisions and accept consequences.  I have made decisions in my life that have led me to this point, and by heck I'm going to do it!  This has become my mantra- "It's never too late!"

No comments: